When preparing for our trip to New Zealand, we looked into all possible ways of traveling around the country. From renting a campervan to bus travel, there are options to fit all touring styles and budget. If you’re struggling to pick which route you’ll go, then this article is for you! In it we break down the pros and cons for each method of travel, so you can make an informed decision on how you’ll tour New Zealand.
Rent a Campervan
Renting a campervan is perhaps the most iconic way of traveling New Zealand.
Best For: People who want to see many destinations and desire the utmost freedom with their itinerary.
- Your transportation also doubles as your accommodation, meaning you don’t have to pack and unpack every time you move locations. This enables you to cover more ground in a shorter period of time.
- You’ll have a kitchen in your vehicle, allowing you to cook your own meals and save money on dining out.
- Many companies offer early booking deals. If you plan well in advance of your trip, you can snag one of these offers and get a better rate than if you waited until the last minute.
- There are campervans of all sizes and levels of outfitting. Pick the one that fits your needs, travel style and budget accordingly.
- Gas is expensive, and so the bigger the campervan you rent, the more you’ll spend on travel between destinations.
- It’s hard to freedom camp in New Zealand, so most people end up paying additional costs to park each night at a holiday park, adding extra expenses to the trip.
- Smaller campervans require the trunk to be open while cooking. In the winter, spring or fall this could get uncomfortable if it’s cold or raining outside. In the summer you instead have mosquitoes and sandflies to deal with.
- Space is limited. You’ll get to know the people you’re traveling with very well, including all their habits and body odors.
Campervan Rental Companies
Here’s a list of campervan companies to consider based on your budget:
- We used Spaceships for our UK campervan trip. You can read our review here.
- The Pod
- Mad Campers
- This is the campervan we went rented for our New Zealand trip.
- Travellers Autobarn
Buy a Campervan
It takes time and money to purchase a campervan in New Zealand. Do not expect to hit the road a few days after your arrival. After doing the math, we found it was only worth purchasing a campervan if traveling the country for 3 months or longer; any shorter of a trip and it’s cheaper to just rent.
Best For: People traveling New Zealand on a working holiday visa or retirees.
- Your home is on wheels! Go where the wind takes you.
- Maximum flexibility in staying where you like, for however long you’d like (assuming it fits within the campsite regulations).
- Most of the campervans for sale are smaller in size (converted Toyota Previa and the like), meaning better fuel efficiency.
- It can take weeks upon arrival into New Zealand to find and buy the right campervan. We ran into a few long-term travelers that experienced this lag time and said they paid high costs to stay in Auckland during that period. If you do plan to purchase a vehicle, budget some extra money for the start of your trip.
- Even if you buy a vehicle, it’s likely you’ll need to outfit it to fit your exact needs. This may include repairs, building out the interior, or gathering supplies. These expenses add up quickly and aren’t cost effective for a time sensitive holiday.
- Space is limited. You’ll get to know the people you’re traveling with very well, including all their habits and body odors.
- Smaller campervans require the trunk to be open while cooking. In the winter, spring or fall this could be uncomfortable if it’s cold or raining outside. In the summer you instead have mosquitoes and sandflies to deal with.
- You’ll need to be prepared to either pay for campsites with hot showers, or get used to bathing in more public spaces. Either way, you likely won’t be taking one every day.
There are multiple resources available for people looking to purchase a campervan in New Zealand. Try these out:
- Hostel Community Boards
- Backpacker Board
- Trade Me
Relocate a Car or Campervan
Many rental companies offer relocation deals for helping them move a vehicle from one branch to another.
Best For: People on an extremely tight budget and who don’t mind moving fast.
- Extremely discounted rental rates. Often you can find a relocation for only a couple of dollars a day in exchange for moving their vehicles for them.
- You get to dictate your own itinerary. While the rental will specify a pickup and drop-off location, you get to determine where to go and what to do/see in between.
- Some relocation deals come with additional perks, such as $100 NZD toward gas, or a free ferry ticket if moving from one island to the other. Make sure to read the offer’s details to know exactly what is or isn’t included.
- Relocations are time restrictive, often giving travelers only a few days between the pickup and drop-off dates to complete the journey. This means you’ll be moving fast and may spend most of your time on the road versus out sightseeing. While some offers allow people to tag on extra days at the regular rental rate, it still makes for a high-paced vacation.
- Relocation offers aren’t typically listed until 1-3 months before the pickup date. You’ll need to check the deals page often and jump on any that interest you because they get booked quickly.
- Relocations are often from less desirable locations to more popular ones. Getting to the initial pickup spot may be challenging and cost a pretty penny.
- Many rental companies offer early booking deals to people. If you don’t get a relocation offer, then you could end up paying higher rates for a last minute standard rental.
Here are a few relocation websites to get you started:
ProTip: Check for relocation deals on brand specific websites as well.
Car camping provides a similar experience to traveling by campervan, but in a more compact space.
Best For: Solo travelers or couples who pack minimally, seek freedom and don’t mind spending lots of time in nature.
- Car camping is extremely budget friendly. You can easily fit your camping gear into the back of a small rental car, which has a cheaper rental rate and more fuel efficiency than campervans.
- Camping equipment can be purchased in country (or brought from out of country if you follow these rules).
- You’ll get up close and personal in nature. The outdoors will become your home.
- Cars will still provide the utmost flexibility to travel where you want, when you want.
- Freedom camping isn’t available in many locations for Non Self-Contained vehicles (including tent campers). You’ll likely end up having to pay for campsites more often than not. Hopefully the costs for a holiday park will be offset by the savings you receive from a cheaper car rental.
- Camping in inclement weather can suck. Especially when having to cook or setup your tent in it.
- Fitting everything into a small car may be difficult. You’ll need to travel light.
- You’ll be outside more often, getting exposed to any sandflies and mosquitoes around. In some weather and parts of the island this may become overwhelming.
- Storing food will be difficult. At best you’ll have a cooler (aka chilly box). This means you’ll be more limited in what you can cook, relying on shelf stable ingredients, or purchasing cold ingredients on the day of.
Although there are some brand name rental companies you’ll recognize from home (such as Enterprise and Hertz), don’t be afraid of the more local car rentals. They tend to have better rates since their reach is greater around the islands. Here are some companies to consider:
City Hop by Car
Traveling New Zealand by car allows you to enjoy the amenities of a city while still having the freedom to do as you please.
Best For: People with a larger budget who prefer to stay in hotels, hostels or Airbnb’s.
- The daily rental rate for a car is better than that of a campervan.
- Rental cars are also more fuel efficient, meaning you’ll spend less overall on gas.
- Cars are nimbler than campervans and easier to drive without experience.
- You’ll have to rent rooms in either a hotel, Airbnb or hostel. These come with all the regular amenities one could need while traveling (bed, bathroom, shower).
- You’ll need to book a hostel, hotel or Airbnb in each location you plan to base yourself. These aren’t cheap and can add quite a lot of cost onto your overall budget. As a couple, we found this route to be more expensive than renting a campervan.
- Many nature sights are hours away from a city, meaning you may spend half the day (if not more) in the car getting there and back. Be prepared for long hours on the road and early wake up calls.
- You may not have access to a kitchen, meaning you’ll be dining out for meals, which adds up quickly.
Don’t forget to purchase travel insurance before heading out on vacation. Covering everything from lost bags, to canceled flights and injuries on the road, this is one item we never leave home without. Our favorite travel insurance is World Nomads. Learn more about their coverage policy, or get started with a quote.
Tour by Bus
If you’re looking to tour around without the hassle of renting a vehicle, then using one of the country’s bus services will be your best bet.
Best For: Budget travelers that don’t want the added cost of renting a vehicle.
- You’ll save heaps of money from not renting a vehicle or paying for fuel.
- Your housing will be rented rooms in either a hotel, Airbnb or hostel. These come with all the regular amenities one could need while traveling (bed, bathroom, shower).
- You’ll get to meet other travelers also using the bus and possibly make some long-term friends.
- Not having to drive is stress free when getting from one destination to another. Just hop on board and let the driver do the rest.
- Tickets for popular routes may sell out, especially in high season. This could make traveling without a set itinerary difficult.
- Once in a city you’re then stuck paying for guided tours or finding friends which vehicles in order to get out and see the sights.
- Bus rides can take a long time. If you’re vacation days are limited, then you may not want to spend many of them sitting on a bus.
If planning to travel by bus, consider getting a bus pass. These companies are good ones to check out:
- We used InterCity for one leg of our journey and found them reliable and comfortable. They operate on both the North and South Islands.
- Skip Bus
- Skip Bus is similar to InterCity, allowing you to purchase one ticket at a time. However, they only operate on the North Island.
- The Kiwi Experience
- This is for people looking to do a multi-city tour by bus. It’s made for backpackers, so you’ll be traveling with and meeting like-minded individuals.
The most budget savings of all options is to skip renting or paying for transit and instead hitchhike across the country (yes, hitchhiking is legal in New Zealand).
Best For: Extreme budget travelers, those with a sense of adventure and aren’t concerned about min/maxing your time.
- It’s an extremely inexpensive way of traveling. Although you may be requested to help pitch in for gas, you’ll still save heaps of money compared to having a full rental of your own.
- Getting to your final destination is half of the adventure. You never know where exactly you’ll end up each day.
- You’ll get to meet new people. Everyone who picks you up is a potential life-long friend!
- Hitchhiking is best for solo or paired travelers. Larger groups (3 or more) will find it difficult to find people with enough space in their vehicle.
- It could take you a long time to reach your desired destination. There’s no guarantee of when you’ll get a ride, or how far they’re traveling.
- You may find yourself stuck on the side of the road in inclement weather.
- Even though hitchhiking is legal, there’s also some risk involved. You never know who’s picking you up. Trust your gut, and don’t get into the car with someone if the situation feels off.
- You’ll be limited to only traveling with what you can carry (ideally in a backpack). The lighter the better. The more gear you have, the less appealing you’ll be to drivers.
Planning a New Zealand Trip? Save these travel options for later!
This post contains affiliate links for items we know and love. We’ll receive a small commission if you purchase one of these products or services, at no additional cost to you. This helps keep the site running. Thanks in advance for any and all support! – L&T
My programmer is trying to convince me to move to .net from PHP.
I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses.
But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using WordPress
on various websites for about a year and am worried about
switching to another platform. I have heard very good things about blogengine.net.
Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress posts into it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
WOW just what I was looking for. Came here by searching for 온라인카지노 사이트 추천
I was suggested this website by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by him as no one
else know such detailed about my difficulty. You’re incredible!
If you wish for to improve your familiarity simply keep visiting this site and be updated with the newest news update posted here.
Saved as a favorite, I love your web site!
Pretty! This has been a really wonderful post.
Thank you for supplying these details.
My developer is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP.
I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses. But he’s
tryiong none the less. I’ve been using Movable-type
on a number of websites for about a year and am worried
about switching to another platform. I have heard fantastic things about blogengine.net.
Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress posts into it?
Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!
I couldn’t refrain from commenting. Perfectly written!
If you want to get much from this post then you have to apply such strategies to your won webpage.
I love what you guys tend to be up too. This type of clever work
and reporting! Keep up the terrific works guys I’ve added you guys to our blogroll.
Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you writing this write-up and
also the rest of the website is also really good.
If some one needs expert view on the topic of blogging and
site-building afterward i propose him/her to visit this webpage, Keep
up the good work.
I am really enjoying the theme/design of your weblog.
Do you ever run into any web browser compatibility problems?
A number of my blog readers have complained about my blog not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Firefox.
Do you have any ideas to help fix this issue?
Good way of telling, and fastidious post to take facts
on the topic of my presentation subject matter, which i am going to present in university.
There is definately a great deal to know about this issue.
I love all the points you have made.
Good post! We will be linking to this particularly great content
on our website. Keep up the great writing.
Good information. Lucky me I found your blog by chance (stumbleupon).
I have book marked it for later!
Your style is very unique in comparison to other people I have read
stuff from. I appreciate you for posting when you’ve got the opportunity,
Guess I’ll just book mark this site.
Keep on working, great job!
Fabulous, what a blog it is! This weblog provides valuable facts
to us, keep it up.
Hi there, You’ve done an incredible job. I will definitely digg it
and personally suggest to my friends. I am sure they’ll be
benefited from this site.
What a stuff of un-ambiguity and preserveness of precious knowledge about unpredicted feelings.
Saved as a favorite, I really like your blog!
I know this website offers quality dependent content and additional stuff, is
there any other web page which provides such things in quality?
I read this paragraph completely on the topic of the resemblance of latest and previous technologies, it’s amazing article.
Hi there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it is truly informative.
I am gonna watch out for brussels. I’ll appreciate
if you continue this in future. Many people will be benefited from your writing.
Useful info. Fortunate me I discovered your site by accident, and I’m
stunned why this twist of fate did not came about in advance!
I bookmarked it.
Hey There. I discovered your blog the usage of msn. This is a really smartly written article.
I will be sure to bookmark it and return to learn more of your helpful info.
Thanks for the post. I’ll definitely return.
This text is worth everyone’s attention. When can I find out more?
Good day! I could have sworn I’ve been to your blog before but after looking at some of the
articles I realized it’s new to me. Nonetheless, I’m definitely happy I came
across it and I’ll be bookmarking it and checking back often!
Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you writing
this article and also the rest of the website is also really good.
It’s going to be end of mine day, but before finish I am reading this
enormous post to improve my knowledge.
Wow! In the end I got a blog from where I be able to really take valuable facts
regarding my study and knowledge.
Hi there, I discovered your blog via Google even as
searching for a similar topic, your site got here up, it
looks great. I’ve bookmarked it in my google
Hi there, just became alert to your blog via Google, and located that it’s
truly informative. I am going to watch out for brussels. I’ll appreciate in case you continue this
in future. Many people can be benefited from your writing.
Hi, everything is going well here and ofcourse every one is sharing information,
that’s really fine, keep up writing.
Good day! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow
you if that would be okay. I’m undoubtedly enjoying your blog and look forward to new updates.
Hey there! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that would be okay.
I’m definitely enjoying your blog and look forward to new updates.
Fastidious answer back in return of this query with
genuine arguments and explaining all about that.
Hi there! This article could not be written much better!
Reading through this article reminds me of my previous roommate!
He constantly kept preaching about this. I am going to send this information to him.
Pretty sure he will have a great read. Many thanks for sharing!
Good article! We are linking to this particularly great article on our site.
Keep up the good writing.
Hi! This post couldn’t be written any better! Reading through this
post reminds me of my old room mate! He always kept talking about
this. I will forward this post to him. Pretty sure he will
have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!
Hi to every one, it’s actually a nice for me to pay
a quick visit this site, it contains priceless Information.
Why visitors still make use of to read news papers when in this technological
world everything is available on web?
Hi there, yup this piece of writing is actually pleasant and I have learned lot
of things from it regarding blogging. thanks.
Very energetic article, I enjoyed that a lot.
Will there be a part 2?
You need to take part in a contest for one of the greatest
websites on the net. I most certainly will highly recommend this blog!
Hey there, I think your blog might be having
browser compatibility issues. When I look at your blog in Chrome, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.
I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that,
very good blog!
Hiya very cool blog!! Man .. Beautiful .. Wonderful ..
I will bookmark your web site and take the feeds also?
I am happy to find numerous helpful info right here in the post, we need develop more strategies on this regard, thank you for sharing.
. . . . .
What a material of un-ambiguity and preserveness of precious familiarity concerning unpredicted feelings.
If you are going for finest contents like me, simply go to see this site all the time
as it provides feature contents, thanks
always i used to read smaller posts that as well clear
their motive, and that is also happening with this
paragraph which I am reading now.
Hi, yes this piece of writing is truly fastidious and I
have learned lot of things from it concerning blogging.
Greetings! Very helpful advice in this particular article!
It is the little changes which will make the most significant
changes. Thanks for sharing!
Hi, I want to subscribe for this website to take
newest updates, thus where can i do it please help.
After I originally left a comment I appear to
have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now on each
time a comment is added I recieve four emails with the exact same comment.
There has to be a means you are able to remove me from that service?
Very nice article. I definitely appreciate this site.
Stick with it!
Terrific work! That is the type of information that are supposed to be shared around the net.
Disgrace on the search engines for no longer positioning
this post upper! Come on over and seek advice from my
web site . Thank you =)
Thanks designed for sharing such a good thinking, piece of
writing is pleasant, thats why i have read it completely
Stunning quest there. What happened after? Take care!
Very good blog post. I certainly love this site. Keep it
Hi everyone, it’s my first go to see at this website, and post is actually fruitful for me, keep up posting such articles.
I blog quite often and I really thank you for your
content. Your article has truly peaked my interest.
I’m going to bookmark your site and keep checking for
new information about once per week. I opted in for your Feed as well.
Good way of describing, and pleasant piece of
writing to get facts concerning my presentation topic, which i am going to
deliver in college.
If you wish for to get a great deal from this paragraph then you have
to apply such strategies to your won web site.
Thanks very interesting blog!
If you want to improve your familiarity just keep visiting this site and be updated
with the most up-to-date news update posted here.
Great goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely great.
I actually like what you have acquired here, really like what you’re saying and the way in which you say it.
You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it smart.
I can not wait to read much more from you. This is actually a wonderful website.
I’m more than happy to uncover this great site.
I want to to thank you for ones time just
for this wonderful read!! I definitely savored every part of it and
I have you book-marked to see new things on your blog.
Good post! We will be linking to this particularly great content on our website.
Keep up the great writing.
Hi, I think your website might be having browser compatibility issues.
When I look at your blog site in Safari, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer,
it has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up!
Other then that, superb blog!
We’re a group of volunteers and opening a new
scheme in our community. Your website provided us with valuable information to work on. You have done an impressive job and our entire community will be grateful to you.
I every time used to read piece of writing in news papers but now as I am a user
of internet thus from now I am using net for articles or reviews, thanks to web.
Hi my family member! I wish to say that this post is amazing, great written and
come with almost all vital infos. I would like to look extra posts like this .
You need to take part in a contest for one of the highest
quality blogs on the net. I most certainly will recommend this web site!
Attractive component to content. I just stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to say that I
get actually enjoyed account your weblog posts. Anyway I will be subscribing to your feeds and even I fulfillment you get
entry to consistently fast.
What a information of un-ambiguity and preserveness of valuable knowledge
concerning unexpected feelings.
It’s actually a nice and useful piece of info. I’m happy that
you just shared this useful info with us. Please keep us up to date like this.
Thanks for sharing.
I’m now not sure where you’re getting your information, but good
topic. I needs to spend a while learning more or working out
more. Thanks for great info I used to be in search of this info for my mission.
Very nice article, totally what I needed.